Francis Watson of the University of Durham has provided a six-page analysis (PDF) of the Coptic fragment which seems to say Jesus was married. This is the most in-depth examination I have seen yet. Professor Watson concludes that
The text has been constructed out of small pieces – words or phrases – culled mostly from the Coptic Gospel of Thomas (GTh), Sayings 101 and 114, and set in new contexts.
This is most probably the compositional procedure of a modern author who is not a native speaker of Coptic.
HT: Scot McKnight
Article Source: Justin Taylor
- Harvard refuses to publish Jesus-wife manuscript fragment (winteryknight.wordpress.com)
- “Jesus’s wife” fragment judged fake, Harvard rejects (zionistoutrage.com)
- Expert: “Wife of Jesus” fragment looks like a modern forgery… (patheos.com)
- Daniel B. Wallace responds to the “Jesus has a wife” media sensationalism (winteryknight.wordpress.com)
- Durham University professor calls the “Jesus had a wife” manuscript fragment a forgery (winteryknight.wordpress.com)